Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Week of Cooking

Don't get me wrong, I love cooking. This blog used to be a cooking blog. But recently, due to a combination of factors including, but not limited to, time, small/badly lit kitchen, laziness, and cost of fresh ingredients, I haven't been cooking very much. I've kind of been grazing on whatever's around, but I have a goal for this week:

cook real food.

I will be using recipes from a Cooking Light cookbook. It's not as arbitrary as it looks: There are a couple pages in the June section of a week's worth of vegetarian recipes for two people. Now this system is ideal because it can get expensive to buy a new set of ingredients for everything you want to make. This way I'll get to use most of the same ingredients so there is only one shopping list, and I have a hope of actually finishing the ingredients I buy. How many times have I left half a block of tofu or most of a bunch of cilantro in the fridge to languish because I only needed so much? I'm going to say more than once and leave it at that.

So without further ado, the menu for this week is as follows:

Tomato and Parmesan Strata
Orange-Glazed Tofu Triangles with Sesame Rice
Sweet and Sour Tofu
Vegetarian Harira (Moroccan Chickpea and Lentil Stew)
Tempeh with Curried Cashew Sauce

Okay, there are only five recipes. That's because I don't need a recipe to tell me how to make an herb/goat cheese omelet, and I don't feel like assembling ravioli by hand. So sue me.

And in true Starving Singer spirit, I will probably deviate somewhat from the given recipes (this is why I don't bake. I'm a recipe adjuster/modifier/substituter). For instance, I bought arugula instead of spinach. I just like it better, okay?

Anyone know of a website or cookbook that has this system also? There used to be a show on the Food Network like this but it wasn't vegetarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment